Berkeley Analytical Adds One-Cubic Meter Chambers to its Testing Facilities
For 2021, Berkeley Analytical has added one-cubic meter chambers to its mix of small- and room-size environmental test chamber facilities. These facilities are used for measuring VOC emissions from products and materials under carefully controlled conditions of airflow rate, air speed, temperature, and relative humidity. One-cubic meter chambers fit at the high end of small-scale chambers as defined by ASTM Standard Guide D5116. These chambers were designed by our own engineering team and were fabricated in the South Bay by a specialty shop that serves the biotech and other high-tech industries. Chambers with an internal volume of 1-m3 are particularly useful for the testing of products and materials that are difficult to represent on a very small scale but which are not sufficiently large for room-size chambers. Some typical applications are:
- Household goods such as pillows, cushions, bedding, and small furniture items
- Baby and children’s furniture
- Side chairs and small task chairs
- Complex door and window assemblies
- Lighting fixtures
- Composite wood, bamboo, and agrifiber panels, e.g., formaldehyde emission testing
VOC emission tests performed using the 1-m3 chambers include:
- CDPH v1.2-2017, Standard Method for The Testing and Evaluation of Volatile Organic Chemical Emissions from Indoor Sources Using Environmental Chamber Version 1.2;
- ANSI/BIFMA M7.1, Standard Test Method for Determining VOC Emissions from Office Furniture Systems, Components, and Seating;
- ASTM D5116 Standard Guide for Small-Scale Environmental Chamber Determinations of Organic Emissions from Indoor Materials/Products;
- DIN EN16516, Construction products – Assessment of release of dangerous substances – Determination of emissions into indoor air – and as amended for the German Formaldehyde Emission Ordinance;
- ISO 16000-9, Indoor Air – Part 9: Determination of the Emission of Volatile Organic Compounds from Building Products and Furnishing – Emission Test Chamber Method;
- IKEA Specification IOS-MAT-0010 AA-10911-15 and IOS-MAT-0054 AA-92520-12.
Berkeley Analytical is ready to assist companies with their VOC emission testing needs. We are an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory with all of the listed test methods in the scope of our accreditation. Contact us today to get a quote.